Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

CESAFI Caravan: Thousands of Relief Goods Donated to Northern Cebu

On queue for the approaching relief goods.

Over 2,000 relief goods were sent to the victims of Typhoon Yolanda at the Northern part of Cebu Province through the CESAFI Relief Caravan last November 15. The caravan is in coordination with the Cebu Province and the Cebu Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI). More than 20 buses of CESAFI member schools were used to completely set off the caravan. Each bus was filled with volunteers, mostly faculty and students from each school, and food packs containing rice, canned goods, water and clothing that were given to different designated areas. Each CESAFI member school bus has identified key areas: University of Cebu and University of Southern Philippines – Bantayan Island; University of Cebu – Tabogon; Cebu Doctor’s University – Tabogon and San Remegio; Cebu Institute of Technology University and University of San Carlos- DaanBantayan; University of San Jose Recoletos and Southwestern University- Bogo City; University of Cebu and Cebu Eastern College- Medellin; and Southwestern University – Hagnaya.


Cristita Rosos, 84 year-old old, a typhoon victim jumped happily while shouting “Daghang salamat!” as she received her relief goods. She was one of the oldest residents who lives in the mountain barangay of Kawit, Medellin, a one-hour walk from the town proper.

“Ganiha pa tawn ko buntag naghuwat og kanang muhatag sa amoa og relief goods.. Nanlakaw ra gyud ko gikan sa amoa hangtud diri arun mahatagan dyud ko kay sukad-sukad karun pako mahatagan kay dili man makaabot ngadto sa amo-a ang relief goods...bukid baya to sa amoa...Mao daghan kaayo salamat sa inyoha kay nahatagan na tawn ko!”, said Rosos teary-eyed.

Some of the buses ended in distributing relief goods earlier at 2 p.m  and some buses went back to the city earlier in the evening.

The CESAFI member schools that participated included the University of Cebu, Cebu Institute of Technology University, University of San Carlos, University of San Jose Recoletos, Southwestern University, Cebu Doctor’s University, Sacred Heart School-Jesuits-Ateneo de Cebu, University of Southern Philippines, Cebu Eastern College, and the University of the Visayas.

UC Teachers Donate 2M Worth of Relief Goods to Typhoon Victims


The University of Cebu Faculty Club (UCFC) decided to give up their teacher’s day and Christmas party this year in order to extend help to the Yolanda typhoon victims. The teachers in sobriety, described a meeting they had with UC President Atty. Augusto W. Go as 'serious', after they all gathered and came up with a decision to reach out to the victims.
“Atty. Go called the attention of all teachers and held a serious meeting...that was a very serious meeting... We discussed about the typhoon victims...that he (Atty. Go) wants us to take part in helping the typhoon victims especially to our co-teachers who are also typhoon victims themselves..”, said Cafarino Manigos, UCFC president. UCFC will receive P2 million worth of budget for their teacher’s day and Christmas Party. The amount of money will be spent for relief goods. The organization believes that the money would help the typhoon victims a lot.
      “We gave up our 2M worth of budget for our organizational activities for the typhoon victims. We know that it would be a big help to them but we are still looking for other sources or donations because we know that it is still not enough... We are just doing our best for them...” added by Manigos.

       UCFC has an estimate of 10 teachers who are also typhoon victims who will be prioritized in the said aid. Teachers will survey places with extent damages and more typhoon victims, for them to extend the giving of relief goods.

       UCFC encourages their students to donate also for the typhoon victims. Those who are willing to help or assist in repacking goods or drop donations,  can just go to University of Cebu-Banilad Campus anytime between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

CAYETANO TAKES OATH IN CEBU

  Re-elected Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano took his oath of office before thousands of students and hundreds of local officials of Central Visayas last Monday morning, June 24, 2013 at the University of the Visayas Main Campus on Colon Street, Cebu City.

  With his wife Taguig City Mayor Laarni as Bible bearer, Cayetano was sworn in by UV President and former Cebu’s 1st District Representative Eduardo Gullas.

  “It is my honor and pride to take my oath before a person with a decade of statesmanship and public service with a heart”, said Cayetano referring to Gullas.

  Gullas is a member of the Nacionalista Party which allied with the Liberal Party under Team Pnoy during the May midterm elections.

  “We must be committed to our work, we must empower the people and look out for their betterment and we must unite even if we are from opposing parties”, Cayetano said during his speech.

  Cayetano will introduce a “CEBU” brand of standard for newly elected officials – Commitment, Empowerment, Betterment and Unity.

  Cayetano ran under the platform focused to end problems related to PTK (Presyo, Trabaho, Kita).

  Cayetano has topped the senatorial race and ranked as number one with 975, 000 votes in Cebu.
  He garnered 245, 000 votes in Cebu City alone and 79, 000 votes in Mandaue City. He also led the senatorial race in the cities of Danao, Toledo and Naga, all in Cebu.

  “Thank you for all your trust and confidence for Alan. Maraming salamat, Cebu!,” said Cayetano’s wife, Laarni, who is re-elected as Taguig Mayor.

  In welcome remarks of Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama, he emphasized the good deeds made by Cayetano especially in helping the indigent patients at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center and the Cebu City Medical Center.

  “He has the compassion towards the poor. We can assure you that we will continue to be in partnership in making things happen. We have to set aside politics and put general welfare to make this country great,” said Rama.

  Cayetano said he was inspired by Rama’s spirit to bring the government to the people and possibly do the same thing.

  In his press conference held after his oath-taking, Cayetano has recognized the need to bring the Senate to the people, and will propose a bill that Senate session will be held not just Manila but also in Visayas and Mindanao.

“During election time, kami ang lalapit sa mga tao para iboto kami. So dapat na yung nanalo, sila naman ang lalapit sa taong-bayan,” Cayetano said.

  Cayetano has also planned to extend his connection in all Local Government Units (LGU’s) in Visayas and Mindanao to support its local programs in education and employment.

  Cayetano also added that the Senate should think on how they can connect with the Cebuanos and all the countrymen by strengthening local programs.

  Cayetano described his rank as number one senator in Cebu as an opportunity to continue his promises and give back what are for Cebuanos and all the people of the Philippines.